ARES opportunites exist to participate in.
02-Dec-2017: Arlington Hollidazzle
I am needing a lot of HAM SUPPORT to lock down the city of Arlington here in Sibley county for our ANNUAL ARLIDAZZLE FESTIVAL. We, as HAMS get to close down MAIN Street, run the 5k RUN, Run the Staging of the 100 piece parade and get FED too....LOL. We cannot have a HAM Radio event without food you know. Here is our schedule for this year. Ideally I am looking for a whole day of commitment, but if you can even work from 2 PM til 9 PM, that would awesome help to us.
- Arlington, MN
- 08:00 thru 21:00 AM Rain, snow, or shine
- Contact Don Burgess/KC0QNA (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We will be operating on our K2KLN portable repeater again 442.825+ DCS 271 and a couple SIMPLEX UHF channels too. Due to some radio interference isssues in Arlington, UHF is our best option and cleanest channels to operate on as well.
*******HAMS MOVE INTO POSITIONS AFTER LUNCH & BRIEFING************
- 09:00 AM - EOC Active
- 09:00 AM - Street barricades get moved into position up and down main street and CR-17 and Baker street, and install Safety Tape and Signs
- 10:30 AM - Chief of Police - New Arlington PD Chief John Petterson - 15 min in the EOC
- 11:30 AM - MAIN Street goes on lock down for the day by order of the Police Dept.
- 12:00 NOON - Christmas Bazaar - help with parking across from the EOC in Church Lot
- 12:00 NOON -- 3 Man Traffic Team - 2nd & Main Street - 2 PM
- 12:30 PM - 5K RUN Begins - PD Takes them down Main Street then HAMS take over and escort them out of town and back into town.
- 14:00 - 5K RUN Wraps Up
- 14:00 - 16:00 -- New TRAFFIC Team - 2nd & Main Street - 4 Person Team
- 14:00 - 15:00 - LUNCH with PD - Sheriff's Team Members
- 15:00 - PD BRIEFING for Parade -- Will have 4 City Officers on Duty, 3 County Deputies and 4 State Patrol Officers...or planned for per the Chief at this time.
- 15:30 - 17:30 - PARADE STAGING
- 17:30 - 19:30 - PARADE - Expected 100 Pieces
- 19:30 - FIRWORKS
- 20:00 - Festival Wraps Up - Dinner for all HAMS - FREE
- 21:00 - Barricades picked up and placed on trailers for county public works
I think this pretty much covers the calendar or events and if you like to know more, please come check out the festival on Facebook or email me, and I can answer almost any questions?
Whether your young or old, or your a new ham or an OLD Ham - YOU can do this wonderful festival and if you have a hard time walking, you can even do this event. A lot of corners we place you and you just block the intersection with your CAR or TRUCK.
If you are going to come and play radio with us, ALL HAMS must have the following:
- a safety color coat on or safety vest over your winter coats
- a UHF Hand Held and ideally a couple of extra battery packs. This will be a ANALOG RADIO EVENT - NO DMR or FUSION or D-star -- Keep it simple COMMS for the day.
- a UHF Mobile Radio for those resting on corners in their cars -- for maximum clarity and communicating.
- Flash Flights and/or Traffic Wands -- Remember we go DARK in town due to time of season around 4 pm, so plan for your warmth and safety, when outside.
- Winter Apparel - as I am sure we will not be 50 and Sunny, but we can dream
We will have a corner in the EOC for you to re-charge your batteries, and cell phones and such.
There is NO VETERANS Special this year, so HAMS will have the EOC room to ourselves the whole day minus a 11 - 12:30 time frame when 5K people come in to register for the run.
As something different, we are going to have a POLICE - HAM RADIO FEED for Lunch attendees, where KC0ARX, and myself will have Chicken Wild Rice Soup, Chili, Coffee, Pop, Water and Sloppy Joes will be served. We are encouraging others to bring some holiday breads, bars, chips etc to add to the celebration and fun foods. We will have all the condiments and plates for lunch, but if your serving food, make sure you have serving tools for them.
Ok, now this is what we are offering for fun on Saturday, December 2nd. All YOU Have to do is say I wanna come and email me your interest and if you have a specific role or location and time frames you want to serve, let me know that too.
Thank you all again for your wonderful season of support, but let's go out with a bang and make this our best ARLIDAZZLE Event yet. I am looking to have some 35 HAMS again this year.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Sibley County Emergency Coordinator
Cell Phone: 612-578-7561